I suggest you ...

Inclusion of infographics and other images to convey results

We can try our best to write understandable PLS and translate Cochrane content to a number of non-English languages but imagery has the power to go much further than this and transcend many, if not all, of the problems inherent to written language. It would be great if the multitude of numerical results presented in a review could be condensed into an intuitive pictorial representation. Further steps could be to automate part or all of the creation process and to even make them interactive as in http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/snake-oil-superfoods/. Another alternative is to enable the inclusion of photographs in such cases where they would make lengthy explanations redundant and make it quick and easy to absorb the key message of a review.

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jani H RuotsalainenJani H Ruotsalainen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jani H RuotsalainenJani H Ruotsalainen commented  · 

In a few weeks' time I will discuss with my fellow hirsute cochranite fellow and assorted henchmen how we can proceed with this idea. My humble suggestion is to set up a poky little blog or some other form of platform in which we could openly try out and explore the process of turning dusty academic text into sexy colourful infographics. There are already free online tools available and so we could start playing with these. We could aim to have a handful of posts together before the colloquium so that we'd have something to present and discuss in Vienna. Based on the number of votes here, I reckon I'm not the only one salivating at the prospect!

Feedback and Knowledge Base