How can we improve Archie?

the ability to 'view' documents stored in the files tab of a workflow

I would like to be able to simply view a document that is stored in the Archie workflow files. At the moment I have to download it to look at the content - I do not always want to edit the document - maybe just want to see if it is complete or if there is a query about some of the content I want to check the relevant part of the document.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sally EM Bell-SyerSally EM Bell-Syer shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Open for voting  ·  Jacob RiisAdminJacob Riis (UX Lead, Cochrane) responded  · 

For files that the browser can just show (txt, pdf) this should be quite easy.

Update: DB search shows that 60% of the current WF files are doc or docx – text and pdf are 29 %.

My assessment for now: wait for more votes or comments

Based on the following scores, the value vs resources trade-off is not clear :

Simple option (txt and PDF only): +1 / -1
    +1 Easy to do
    -1 Good alternative exists (download opens these files pretty fast)

Full solution (preview MS Office files): +1 /-0
    +1 High value

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

As an editorial assistant I spend the majority of my time managing workflows and often just want to view documents briefly, particularly text comments from authors left with a ticket. It would be great if these could be viewed online rather than having to download the file to the desktop/other folder and then open this separately. This would save time and memory space.

• Sally EM Bell-SyerSally EM Bell-Syer commented  · 

as an addition to this request it would also be useful to "view" the word documents held in the Files folders in Archie - for all the reasons mentioned above.

Ok yes it is easy to download them - but once downloaded then they have to be opened and often it iust just a case of wanting to see if a document has a particular piece of information - so to simply "view" without downloading and opening would be more time effective and much easier.

Since your assessment is wait for more votes and comments I have added a further comment as I have only a limited number of votes !!!

• Sally EM Bell-SyerSally EM Bell-Syer commented  · 

this would still be very useful - how do we know how many MEs look at these ideas and therefore vote - should we start a campaign? - the comments / ideas / wishes we put forward are to help us work more efficiently. Just waiting for more votes is not an ideal solution.

what about drawing up a list of they key wishes and asking MEs to vote?

Feedback and Knowledge Base