improve the display of events information on Cochrane websites
As a current or potential Cochrane contributor, I want to easily find complete information on relevant events of interest, accessible in my location, on whatever Cochrane website I use most.
There are currently some issues with the display of events in the Cochrane news & events section (and feeds to other websites), that make this more difficult than it could be, including:
- lack of connection between Cochrane websites, e.g. Centres may list local events on their websites, but these are not automatically aggregated to Cochrane.org, and vice versa, and must be manually re-posted (which can lead to errors or missing information).
- some issues with events being displayed in the order of posting, not the order in which the events will occur.
- some issues around the display of long events, e.g. semester-long courses or continuously available online courses, dominating the events list for long periods of time.
- lack of clarity around the difference between Cochrane and non-Cochrane events
- lack of flexible ways to filter and display events by geographical region or topic (e,g, filterable list or calendar view)
- lack of field for event location in summary lists, relying on that information being in the title of the event.
This issue is currently under discussion with IKMD and CEAD, for improvements to be made in the rebranded website early in 2015.
Miranda Cumpston commented
A progress update: events are now displaying in order of occurrence, not order of posting, and the policy of display for long/ongoing events has been improved, with thanks to the web developers at IKMD.
They have also advised that there are technical issues which will prevent automatically linking events from multiple sources (e.g. Centre websites) in the near future, and implementing a calendar view is unlikely to be possible withe current version of Drupal, but these issues will remain on the wish list for future development.
It is unlikely that linking events from Centre sites to the