Cochrane Style Manual

The Cochrane Style Manual helps authors and editors apply a consistent style across Cochrane Reviews and related Cochrane content. Please use this forum to suggest additions, clarifications, or other changes.

It helps if you can explain why you would find the change useful. Start with a short label and then a fuller description.

To learn more about what happens to ideas and how the manual is revised, see Cochrane Style Manual: process for updating.

How can we improve the Cochrane Style Manual?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide more advice on active and passive voice

I find myself disagreeing with CE from time too time about what is active and what is passive, so I went to try and educate myself. About the first thing I cam across was this article, which had as its abstract:

"Writing advisers have been condemning the English passive since the early 20th century. I provide an informal but
    comprehensive syntactic description of passive clauses in English, and then exhibit numerous published examples of incompetent
    criticism in which critics reveal that they cannot tell passives from actives. Some seem to confuse the grammatical concept with
    a rhetorical one involving inadequate…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Clarification needed on use of "mid" as a prefix

Please add "mid" to the list of prefixes and clarify its presentation. (The example I am working with is "mid-urethral" or "midurethral") .

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • sso
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Clarification needed re the use of a lower-case letter after a colon

The CSM recommends using a lower-case letter after a colon unless the following word is a proper noun, but in the CSM Basics we can see many colons followed by upper-case letters. Is that an inconsistency or a further explanation is missing?

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • sso
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Expand section on use of upper-case letters

Current guidance is limited. Consider expanding with further clarification, examples, and links to other relevant sections. Please use comments here to add particular suggestions for this.

0 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • sso
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Clauses introduced by 'that' and 'which'

Clauses that could start with 'which' or 'that' must use 'which' if they are nonrestrictive clauses (i.e. separated by commas) (e.g. "the studies, which took place in France, were crossover trials"). Restrictive clauses can be introduced by that or which: "the studies that took place in France were crossover trials", "the studies which took place in France were crossover trials". Some commentators advocate only using 'that' for restrictive clauses, to avoid confusion. Others note that the usage of which is too common to justify always changing, and that the appropriate use of commas is the key to clarity. Should the…

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • sso
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon